I was having a bit of an experiment in the kitchen and came up with these buttermilk blueberry scones. If you can’t find buttermilk in the supermarket you can make it using normal milk and lemon juice or use natural yoghurt.
- 350g self-raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 85g butter
- 175ml buttermilk or natural yoghurt
- 60g blueberries
- Preheat the oven to fan 180C. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter, cut into small pieces and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the buttermilk and mix with a palette knife to form a soft dough. You might not need all the buttermilk. Add the blueberries and gently incorporate into the mixture. Knead gently, then roll out to 1 ½ inch thickness and cut into rounds. Brush the tops with milk using a pastry brush.
- Put on a lightly floured baking sheet a little apart, and bake for 12-15 minutes, until risen and pale golden.